Monday, October 1, 2012

Pre-op appointment

This is really happening

I had my pre-op appointment at the hospital today. It really wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be since I have had so much testing recently. I was told to fast for the day until the testing was done. When I asked why, they said that there wasn't a need for me to fast that the Dr's office just tells everyone that to be safe. Wow, I could have had a nice breakfast and lunch after all. I guess it didn't hurt me to go without a couple meals. They wanted to know why x-rays and other testing wasn't requested by Dr. Tyagi and all I could say was, "you'd have to ask the Dr., I really don't know". Turns out that after contacting my primary physician they had all the records and clearance they needed for surgery. Two different people had to take my blood to double check everything. When I asked why two they said it was so they could cross check that I am who I say I am and they could check my antibodies and blood type since Robert Wood Johnson Hospital doesn't have info on me in their database. Then I just had to review everything with the anesthesiologist. Turns out they will need to give me a high dose of anti nausea medication since I had a reaction to anesthesia in the past. They don't want the nausea (vomiting) to cause trauma to the incision site. I don't like taking medicine, but I don't like being nauseous and vomiting even more. Dr. Tyagi says that I will be rather sick during my hospital stay; I'll be in ICU for at least one day and then 3-4 days in the step down unit.

Makes it all so real; just over a week away until surgery. Now I am thinking about what I need to do to be prepared. Maybe some yard work and bringing my plants in off the deck...I don't think I'll be outside doing work for awhile after surgery. What do I want or need to do that I won't be able to do for awhile?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment