Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My Favorite Nurse

Manami

8 days post-op walk with my favorite nurse
As I said previously, I was discharged on Monday October 15th after having Posterior Fossa Decompression, my Cerebellar Tonsils shaved, and a bovine Duraplasty.

I really expected that Bob would work from home some, and that I would be able to manage on my own with having friends drop in here and there. In my fog I heard Bob and Manami, Ross's girlfriend, conspiring and she said that she could stay with me some during the week. I was too out of it to protest with any comments that I could handle things on my own as I thought. What I didn't expect was that Manami would stay here much of the first week.

After much hard work Manami recently received her nursing license. During the week she kept me company, helped me to keep track of and brought me my medicine, my food and water, read scriptures to me, encouraged me, etc... All the while she spent many hours writing nursing job applications and taking care of other personal things as well as spending time out at appointments here and there. I really didn't think that I would have such a need for help after the surgery. I'm so thankful that she has been so thoughtful and generous enough to serve me in this way. Just to have Manami sit quietly near me or in the kitchen working as I rest has been so comforting.

By Thursday I was up to going outside and taking a little walk. I really thought I'd be able to walk down the block to the end of our property and back, but we walk through the park behind the house and circled around to the road back to our house. It was a relatively short walk, but much longer than I expected. As we were out we chatted a few minutes with one of my neighbors who didn't know I was having surgery. When I started to tell her briefly about surgery and said that I had a malformation, she said..."it doesn't happen to be Chiari malformation does it?" I couldn't believe she had ever heard of Chiari. She said that she has a friend who also had the surgery recently. Wow! We did talk a few minutes about it, but I had to cut the conversation short to get back inside as I was feeling quite worn out by this time. I came back to the house exhausted and I think I slept for at least 2 hours. It was so nice to be outside on such a gorgeous fall day with all the beautiful colors, and a sunny 80 degrees.

Manami is going to be a fabulous nurse! 

Post-op 7 days/October 17th
Post-op 9 days/October 19th

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment