Saturday, October 20, 2012

Going Home

Wasn't sure I was ready

poked & labelled everywhere
Dr. Tyagi released me on Monday morning. I knew it was a possibility, but it all happened much sooner than I had expected.

It was good to have a little talk with Dr. Tyagi and to know that she felt confident that I was ready to go home and that I'd do so much better to get rest at home. I had been so sick since the surgery on Thursday that it was hard to imagine just the night before that I would be able to tolerate riding home in the car. I was so nauseous that I hadn't been able to keep anything down and just moving my head a little bit would cause such stabbing pain. When I was able to ask her a couple of questions and understand more about what medications I'd be taking I felt better about it all. She said I could go ahead and shower and that it was fine to shampoo my hair. No problem with water running over the incision - wow, I was so surprised by this. By this time I was feeling rather grimy and even though I wasn't so sure about taking a shower at the hospital I couldn't wait to get cleaned up at this point. Remember all the gel like antiseptic glue I had in my hair? It felt so good to shower, but it was a huge effort and then I was just so exhausted.

I had told Bob to go on to work since he was out on Thursday and Friday and I didn't know when or if they would release me. Dr. Tyagi's colleague told me on Sunday that if I was released Monday it would probably not be until around 4 pm. When I found out I could go we decided that since Ross was off work and already coming to see me that he could bring me home and Bob could meet us at home. I felt great about having Ross pick me up and I know he had been asking if he could help by picking me up from the hospital.

Ross helped me to pack up and get ready while my prescriptions and discharge papers were being completed. My friend Tiffany Morris showed up right then with suitcase in hand. I asked her if she was planning on staying. She was on the way to the airport to go on a business trip and stopped in on her way there. Tiffany waited with us until I was discharged and the valet brought Ross's car and then we were able to drop her off at the train station on our way. It was a little rough driving home with every bump and the motion. I would say that some of the nauseous feeling comes from motion.

When we got home Manami came right away to help out. She helped us with getting dinner and my medications. Ross always comes for dinner on Monday nights and sometimes Manami also comes over; we love to spend time with them. What I didn't know was that Bob asked Manami if she had time to stay with me some during my first week home. She's not working, but is busy putting in applications for nursing jobs since getting her license and she said she could work on that here. I really didn't know that I would need someone with me, but I'm so grateful for her company and for how she thoughtfully took care of me. She helped me stay on track with my medication, getting me meals, giving advise, sat quietly while I slept and kept me encouraged through the week. It was such a blessing to have her here. Some of my friends from my church have been bringing meals on a daily basis and I think I have people lined up to bring meals everyday next week. I'm so grateful for all the support.
5 days post-op
 The first two nights home were pretty rough during the night, but that is getting better by the day. My medicine wears off in the middle of the night and It also is making me very, very itchy. I am still having trouble eating; I can only eat very small amounts of soft food. Oh....the most important thing I have found that I need since being home.....A STRAW! It's hard to swallow, but it's even harder to lean my head back to drink out of a glass...a straw is a lifesaver! I could have also used a back scratcher. Lip balm is also a necessity. I didn't really care about anything I packed for the hospital except for my Burt's Bees lip balm. I didn't know how much I would need a straw until I got home since they automatically give you a drink with a straw at the hospital.


screw hole/lump

I also have a painful lump on my left temple where they obviously screwed down some type of clamp onto my head to keep it still....ouch!  It's a bit hard to see from the photo, but maybe you can get the idea. Basically I'm cut, bruised, and poked all over the place; sure hope it will all be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment