Friday, November 2, 2012

The Aftermath

Hurricane Sandy's Path

Wow! Where to start, I don't want to make this long (mainly because I may run out of power). All I can say is it definitely wasn't media hyphe that this would be the worst storm we've seen. We were right in Sandy's path. I wish I could upload photos, but that will have to come later. We haven't had power since about 6pm on Monday night and it looks like it will be awhile before we get power. There are so many gigantic trees down in our neighborhood across roads and power lines with many blown transformers. We haven't seen any power or clean-up crews, which is quite unusual. It just shows how widespread and bad the destruction is. Usually the road one block over from us would be cleared very quickly after this type of storm because it's a county road and a major road for people to pass through. There are still several trees across the road, it's just amazing.

Bob had a neighborhood BBQ yesterday because we had a bunch of steaks and hamburgers that were about thawed out. We may have to do the same with the chicken today. We do have a wood burning stove that is keeping the house real toasty warm so we're very thankful for that. It has been a great time of spending time with neighbors; they are stopping by to talk all the time. Last night with the BBQ we had a crowd on the deck and a bunch of the women and children inside by the fire with me visiting.

I have doing very well with my recovery, although yesterday morning I woke up feeling just awful. I really don't know why. The only thing I can think is that we had gone on a long walk around the neighborhood to see the damage, which ended up being about 2 hours with all the looking and stopping to talk to people. I felt worn out after, but didn't feel bad and actually had a really good night sleep. So as soon as I got out of bed in the morning my neck hurt, I had a headache and was extremely sick to my stomach. I took my anti-nausea meds and then my pain meds with sips of water and a bit of toast, but I continued to feel just horrible. Also I was having horrible chills/hot flashes all at the same time it seemed, until finally I threw up around noon. Then I started to feel much better, which of course was a huge relief. Here it is 3 weeks post-op and I haven't been so sick since I was in the hospital. I was about ready to have Bob take me to the hospital.

I missed my post-op appointment because of the storm and since have not been able to reach the Dr. It seems that phone lines are down. Since I didn't see her, I still have the staples in mt head. Today we are going to try to find a place that will take them out for me. We'll either go to the hospital or to an urgent care center that we heard is open. I also have only one more day of pain meds and I' a bit nervous about suddenly going off them so I'd like to see if I can get a step down prescription. Sounds like it may be a long day out there. Bob went out to try to get breakfast; he just called and said he found a Panera open and got us some breakfast sandwiches.

Well, enough for now as my power is about used up. I'll try to power up somewhere when we are out and write more.

So grateful that we are safe and warm despite everything else.
Romans 8:37-39

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment