Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Brain Is Too Big For My Skull

Posterior Fossa Decompression and Duraplasty
Yes, I know....it's brain surgery

Basically the cerebellar tonsils of my brain are descending into the spinal canal causing pressure on the nerves and obstruction of the flow of cerebral spinal fluid. This pressure has caused many symptoms throughout my body, especially on my left side. I have other symptoms that I have had for many years that also seem consistent with Chiari. The procedure is meant to relieve the pressure and hopefully restore proper nerve function so that my symptoms will disappear. I learned that people who have this procedure call themselves Zipperheads. I'll be joining the club October 11th.

The surgery involves removing a small amount of bone around the opening of the Foramen Magnum to relieve pressure. During the surgery Dr.Tyagi will be monitoring my nerve sensations throughout my body to see if they are relieving enough pressure. Then the likely next step will be to remove a small portion of the Dura, the covering of the brain, and replacing and expanding it with a bovine patch. There is the possibility of more steps to the procedure depending what is found when opening. Sometimes some of the bone of the upper vertebrae or the cerebellar tonsils needs to be shaved also. So we'll see what happens and give an update after all is said and done. I am hopeful that my symptoms will be relieved and even completely disappear, although it isn't promised.

Please pray that my symptoms will be completely alleviated, that I will have a speedy recovery and that I will have no further complications from the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment